Dragon*Con starts TONIGHT, motherscratchers!
I’ve decided that’s just how I’m going to start this post every year. It’s worked just fine for the past two and I see no reason to change it. Nobody is here for salutations anyway. You guys just all want to know what’s happening at the biggest, best, most exciting, non-stop crazy-ass nerds-gone-wild party on the planet, right?
NEWS FLASH: My event, Late Night Sci-Fi Theater: THINGS 25th Anniversary is going to serve as the Needless Things meetup. It’s at 11:59 Saturday night in the Marriott on the Marquis level, rooms M303-304. We’ll be watching my favorite movie of all time, THINGS. It’s awful and we’re going to have a great time.
If you won’t be there Saturday night, DON’T DESPAIR. You can often find me at the Marriott on the Atrium level in front of the elevators and facing the escalators. I will, of course, be at DCW. And later on you’ll see my panels, highlighted in PURPLE.
As always, I am focusing on things that I am interested in or plan to do. This year, rather than doubling up on events at the same time (or even tripling up), I am only going to list one event for each time. This is partially because I obviously can’t do more than one thing at a time, but also because I am writing this super late in the game and need to streamline.
This is but a tiny sampling of all of the delights available at Dragon Con. For a full listing be sure to download the Dragon Con 2014 app and pick up a Pocket Program when you register.
Also be sure to attend all of my panels and give them a 5 out of 5 in the app.
THINGS OF IMPORTANCE
Badges – Dragon Con will be limiting access to convention areas to keep freeloaders from horning in on the action that we all save and plan for every year. I think this is great and that if it were at all possible should be done 24-7. What this means is that you need to have your badge and/or your hotel key on you AT ALL TIMES. Every time you leave your room, check to make sure you have these items on your person.
Gaming Guide – The Gaming Track now has its own book, which will be issued upon registration with said track in the Hilton.
DC TV – This is one of my absolute favorite things about Dragon Con. As I mentioned in my 2014 Dragon Con Preview, DC TV shows sketches, panels, and for the first time ever will be broadcasting the Parade LIVE (maybe).
Hotel Bars on Saturday Night – They close at midnight. PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
Walk of Fame – In the “Hours of Operation” section this is listed as being in the Hilton. In the Pull Out section (huhuh) it is listed as being in the Marriott. It is in the Marriott. These things happen sometimes when you cut and paste your These things happen sometimes when you cut and paste your
I will be arriving Thursday morning. If you are hanging around and have naught to concern you, message me via El Phantasmas on Facebook. I’ll be looking for trouble to get into until later in the evening. These things happen sometimes when you cut and paste your (okay, enough).
It’s interesting to note that the schedule grid does not include Thursday night, despite the fact that several tracks have programming scheduled then.
- 10:00 PM – Ghostbusters: 30th Anniversary of Mass Hysteria – Marriott M303-304 – A bunch of the ESO Irregulars will be gathering to discuss one of the greatest movies ever made. I can’t promise I’ll be here, but I’d like to see it.
- 10:00 AM – Arrow: Dual Identities – Hyatt Centennial I-III – This is one of the best shows on television. I’d like to make this panel. We’ll see how badly I treat my body Thursday night.
- 11:30 AM – John Barrowman Live!!! – Marriot Atrium Ballroom – I can’t imagine that I need to explain why this is a must-see panel. I can’t think of another entertainer as jubilant and enthusiastic as Barrowman. I’m making this one my first definite panel so I will be sure to get down to Con on time Friday morning. Also, “Ballroom”. I’m just sayin’.
- 11:30 AM – Color Me Intrigued: Defiance Cast Q&A – Westin Peachtree Ballroom A-F – I hate Q&As, but this might be the only chance I have to see a Defiance panel. I really want to try and make this one.
- 1:00 PM – Sir Patrick Stewart – Marriot Atrium Ballroom – I’ve never seen this man in anything I didn’t like. He seems so charming and funny and I bet this will be a great panel.
- 2:30 PM – The Business of Podcasting – Hilton 203 – I suck at self-promotion. Like, really badly. I’ve been doing this for six years now and while I love you guys, there should be about a thousand or so more of you. I need to learn stuff.
- 4:00 PM – An Audience With James Urbaniak & Dana Snyder – Marriott Imperial Ballroom – These two are hilarious. They were in two of the first panels I ever attended and I’d love to see them playing off of one another.
- 5:30 PM – Fan Fic Theater – Hyatt Regency V – Well, shit. Chris Gore is doing essentially the same thing that I’m doing. Only mine is on Saturday night, I’m using the audience and not celebrities, and I have hundreds of dollars’ worth of pervy prizes to give away. And I have Miss Lady Flex. Chris Gore doesn’t have Miss Lady Flex. Just to be clear, I’m not dissing Chris Gore. I love the guy. This just came as a surprise to me.
- 7:00 PM – Dragon*Con Championship Wrestling – Hyatt Centennial Ballroom – The DCW Hooligans will be in full effect with all-new t-shirts for 2014. And there might be a surprise or two that I might be involved with. You definitely do not want to miss this one.
- 8:30 PM – Raising Hell: The Cinematic Clive Barker – Westin Atlanta Ballroom – A collection of folks involved with Barker’s movies discuss being in… uh… Clive Barker’s movies.
- 9:00 PM – Sci-fi Drive-In Heckle Along: SuperShark – Hyatt Hanover Ballroom – You know what’s hot? Shark movies. You know what’s even hotter? Sitting in on some extremely funny and knowledgeable dudes mocking a shark movie.
- 11:30 PM – Puppet IMPROV! For Adults – Hyatt International South – This gets my highest recommendation. It’s one of those that I am 100% not going to miss. I will head straight downstairs after wrestling to see it. Or overstairs. Or wherever.
- 10:00 AM – Geek Year 1984: Classic Sci-Fi Roll-A-Panel – Marriott M303-304 – I’m super-excited about this one, which is why I’m actually going to make the effort to be at a panel at 10 AM on the morning after DCW. It’ll be me, “Howdy” Mike Gordon, the RetroBlasting folks, and maybe DJ Spider along with some of the other Sci-Fi Classics Irregulars. We’re going to have a gigantic D20 with various topics from 1984 stuck all over it. Every five minutes we roll again and start a new panel. It’s going to be ridiculous.
- 11:30 AM – She-Ra and the Panel of Honor – Marriott M303-304 – I pitched this one last year as a follow-up to our Masters of the Universe panel. In theory this should be me, Mr. Beau Brown, and a couple of other folks from the Sci-Fi Classics track. We’ll see who shows up. Regardless, whoever is there will look their prettiest, I’m sure.
- 1:00 PM – Earth Station Who Presents: Doctor Who – Past, Present, and Future – Sheraton Macon – I have no idea what we’re going to be talking about, but I do know that I absolutely hated the season premiere of Doctor Who. I liked Capaldi as well as I could given the brief amount of time he was comprehensible as the Doctor, but I hated everything else about it. Don’t miss this panel. I have a prize and a surprise.
- 2:30 PM – 30 Years of Dragonlance – Hilton Grand Salon C – You may not know this about me, but I am a huge Dragonlance nerd. I bought a print of a Larry Elmore painting of the Companions a few years ago and have yet to put it in a frame. I’d like to see this just to hear how the franchise has evolved since I was reading everything that came out with the word “Dragonlance” on it. I may, however, have to miss this in favor of enjoying a delicious Sheraton sandwich. Or I might bring the sandwich with me.
- 4:00 PM – Lost Girl Cast – Westin Peachtree Ballroom A-F – I realize that the Westin isn’t really that far, but it seems so far. I might make the trip to see the Lost Girl cast talk. I bet this panel will be a lot of fun.
- 5:30 PM – Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom: No Time for Love – Marriott M303-304 – I think there’s a very good chance I’ll be taking a nap when this happens. But I’ll throw it in here because I’d like to see it. From around this time until 10 PM I will be having dinner and preparing for the next panel…
- 10:00 PM – Whose EFF Is It Anyway? – Marriott M303-304 – You should already know about this by now, but you can find out more at the Facebook Event Page. It’s going to be unbelievable. It’s fucking wild that last year I was leaving Con to go and see Le Sexoflex perform and this year I am staying at Con and performing with Miss Lady Flex. I’m truly proud of this game show. JUST ADDED: We will be featuring appearances by the ladies of CosplayDeviants.com! Sponsored by Stardust Atlanta, Inserection Cheshire Bridge, Belligerent Monkey.com, and Zenescope Comics.
- 1:00 PM – A Bit of A Chat With Terry Gilliam – Sheraton Grand Ballroom A-F – This is important to me. I’ve loved Monty Python for as long as I can remember and loved Gilliam’s work before I even realized he was a Python. His films have been uneven, but they are all very much his. Brazil is one of my absolute favorites. There aren’t many movies that have affected me as much as that one did.
- 2:30 PM – Guardians of the Galaxy Guests – Marriott Atrium Ballroom – James Gunn is coming to Dragon Con. Not for pay. Not to promote anything. But because he genuinely loves the fans that made Guardians such a success. As well as the fans that have been following him since Scooby-Doo, Dawn of the Dead, Slither, and Super. I’m one of those. Gunn’s pedigree left me no doubt that his Marvel movie would be fantastic. I still can’t quite believe he’s going to be at Con and I hate that I feel like my chances of meeting him are so slim. I do plan to be at this panel with him and his brother, Sean, who has been a constant in Gunn’s projects
- 4:00 PM – Stump the Geeks – Marriott M303-304 – The legendary American Sci-Fi Classics game show. I’m going to go and risk coming out smelling like Hulk.
- 5:30 PM – Puppet Match Game – Marriot A704 – We talked about this briefly on Episode 31 of the Podcast. It sounds like a lot of fun and there are going to be some talented puppeteers on board.
- 7:00 PM – Conan the Destroyer – Marriott M303-304 – I will once again be joined by the talented and entertaining William Stout to discuss this classic flick that he worked on as Production Designer.
- Midnight – The Sci-Fi Janitors Present: Late Night Puppet Slam – Hyatt Regency VI-VII – If there are three things that I have to recommend as can’t miss, they’re DCW on Friday, Whose EFF Is It Anyway? on Saturday, and this. The Puppet Slam isn’t like anything else you’ll ever experience. It’s the very best puppeteers bringing performances that they have labored over for months or longer. This is the best of the best. And also absolutely filthy at times.
- 1:30 AM – Sci-Fried – Marriott Atrium Ballroom – Schweck wants to see this one, so there’s a good chance I’ll end up here. But it will be Sunday night, so wandering around and desperately trying to cling to the last vestiges of party time will definitely be happening.
Normally I throw a few more Monday things on, but I know I’ll be checking out Monday morning and heading home. I always end up missing the family too much to stick around for long. RetroBlasting is hosting a TMNT panel at 10 and then the GI Joe panel featuring my pals Noel and Jonathan will be at 11:30. If you’re still hanging around you should check them out. The Joe panel was a HUGE hit last year and I think it’s a real shame it ended up being on Monday morning this year. But the track has so much stuff that it simply can’t fit everything in primo spots.
If you want the full schedule, download the Official Dragon Con 2013 app or the schedule, which is available on the Dragon Con site.
I said this last year and I meant it - keep an eye out for me and please do say hello if you see me. If I’m not rushing off to a panel or a Needless Things photoshoot involving #nopants and #sideboob I’ll definitely hang. Probably over a beer. Or two. And let me know who you are. I’m pretty easy to identify, but if I only know you from your tiny Facebook or Twitter profile picture then I’m probably not going to recognize you immediately.
I don’t know what next week on the site is going to look like, but you can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for constant on-site updates.
Oh, and I will be wearing a super-secret costume at some point during the weekend. It’s creepy. Find me and I’ll hook you up with some fabulous prizes.
Also, if you’re here checking out Dragon Con stuff and haven’t visited Needless Things before thanks for coming by. Me and my writers post five times a week (mostly) and it’s all original content that you can’t get anywhere else. I do the Needless Things Podcast about twice a month (or more) when there’s something special to talk about. And definitely come back in October for my 31 Days of Halloween! It lasts all month long and everything on the site is thoroughly Halloweeny! Each weekday post also includes a rundown of SyFy’s programming.