Beau Brown is one of the creators of the ridiculously popular Bob & Carl: Sci-Fi Janitors. If you are not familiar with Bob & Carl, here:
Beau is also in charge of the all-new Puppetry Track at Dragon*Con 2012. The Puppetry Track is largely a result of the popularity of Bob & Carl, the efforts of their creative team, and the massive success of last year’s Puckin’ Fuppet Show; which was undoubtedly the most entertaining thing I attended. This year I will be purchasing one of those pee jugs they sell at the medical supply store so I can make ti through the whole two-and-a-half hours while still consuming copious amounts of adult beverage.
But I’m not here to discuss my tiny, pea-like bladder. I’m here to ask Beau Brown 13 Questions.
The only reason the esteemed Mr. Brown could take time out of his absolutely insane work schedule to help me out is that Mrs. Troublemaker has known him since he was knee-high to a Fraggle. Or something. All of the other Hooligans know him as well, which is how I ended up hanging out with him last year. Granted, I don’t actually remember any of that, but he assures me I kept my pants on most of the time.
1) Where were you born and what is one way that place has affected you as a person?A)I am from Lilburn GA. I am most certainly a product of southern suburbia.
2) What was your favorite toy when you were a kid?A) He-man toys for sure, the wider the variety the better. As far as a specific one toy...that’s hard to say, it was always the interaction of the toys that made them special to me.
3) What is one album everybody should own?A) The first Boston album. Boston rules...well the first two albums at least. Its all kind of downhill from there.
4) Is your current occupation a career?A) I work at the Center for Puppetry Arts in the Marketing Dept but it allows me to be very active with things at the Center, even though I do not consider myself a career marketer.
5) If so, how and when did you realize that? If not, what are you working towards?A) Well it’s much more of step in the right direction when just over a year ago I was working three jobs. The Education Dept of the Center one or two days a week, the lawn and garden dept at Ace Hardware and a receptionist at an Acupuncture Clinic.
6) Who is your favorite wrestler and why?A) I haven’t really ever followed wrestling, but I suppose Rey Mysterio cause I like the aerialist guys and his showmanship.
7) What are the best shoes you’ve ever owned?A) I’ve got pair of Danskos right now that are pretty great. They were developed for the nursing industry for people on their feet 24/7. There are damn fine shoes. I was fond of my old all black Chucks with orange laces though.
8) How did you become involved with the Puppetry Track at Dragon*Con?A) Puppet Slam> Sci-Fi Janitors> Puppet Slam at DragonCon> Puppetry Track
9) Which actor do you feel like you could sit and watch for hours no matter what they were doing and why?A) Mark Wahlburg. I love just about everything Ive seen him do, and I may or may not have a man crush on him.
10) What inspires you to do what you do?A) Other awesome puppeteers, I am really lucky to have become friends with some truly extraordinarily talented people in my line of work. I am inspired to help them achieve greatness and recognition.
11) What is something you cannot wait to see or have more of?A) Masters of the Universe Classics.
12) Is there a movie that should never be remade and if so which one?A) Gremlins. It is my Christmas movie I watch every year.
13) Closer – can you sell me cold on your current project?A) Geez, by the time of DCon all my projects will be down and it is full steam ahead on fatherhood. Go see the Puckin' Fuppet Show I will throw candy at you and make you laugh.
Do as he says – go and see the Late Night Puppet Slam. It’s scheduled for Sunday at midnight in the Hyatt Regency Ballrooms VI-VII and I strongly recommend you get there at least an hour before. Last year’s show filled up instantly and there was a line of more than a hundred people hoping to get in right up until the time I had to get up and leave because I had had a lot of beers.
Also, check out Episode 4 of the ESO Network's Dragon*Khan Report. I'm on it and so are Beau and Patrick, from yesterday's post. It's a good 'un.